Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Best pie EVER

I have been itching to show you guys this.....and before you even say anything let me just tell you....


You are so welcome.


I will give you all my address so you can send your gifts of thanks later. I like chocolate and lilies, but I won't turn down fine jewelry either.


Because I am about to introduce you to a culinary delight that exceeds all possible expectations you could possibly have. It turns rainy skies into rainbows, frowns into smiles, poop into brownies.


(If you have small kids, that last one was for you.)


This is another one of P-Dub's masterpieces....and after reading this recipe and tasting it's goodness, I can tell you that I have never been more convinced that she and I are soul-mates.


She doesn't know that yet, but all in good time. All in good time.


(a tad creepy?)


Read the recipe here. My commentary and pseudo-helpfulness follows.


(Because, if you've ever read her recipes, it's clear that she really needs my help and photog skills. She's clearly just not with the details. Uh huh.)



You start my making the glorious crust. The crust is normally my least favorite part of a pie, and I was painstakingly rolling every last morsel of filling around in it's heavenly crumbs because I was not willing to see one iota go to waste.


(I don't know what an "iota" is, but I know that when my momma used it in a sentence, she meant business)


The crust had 5 ingredients: pecans, chocolate, brown sugar, a dash of salt and Kahlua.


I don't need to tell you that the last one sealed the deal for me. Please don't judge. You know you're a tad interested now.


A note: P-Dub (though I love her) says that semi-sweet chocolate chips won't work here. But I'm rebellious. I threw those things around in a food processor for a few seconds and they did their job well.


So let's not set the chocolate chips up for failure and underachievement. They deserve a fightin' chance.


You take your chopped pecans, food processed choc-chips, brown sugar, salt and mix it all around.


You do the Hokey Pokey.... and turn yourself around.


Cause that's what it's all about.


(I am so sorry.)


Once you've recovered from all that, you.... and I can barely type it.... take your Kahlua (or Bailey's, in my case) and drizzle it on top.


I know. I'm speechless too.


Using your fingers, gently press it all into a pie plate and, with much discipline, put it in the fridge.

Now, P-Dub says your fingers should be clean. I don't think it matters. I mean, who cares?! Aren't we all making it so that our very own dirty fingers can dig in, piece after piece, while we sit on our beds watching re-runs of LOST before anyone else in our family knows that we even made a pie?


Um...


Speaking of being set up for failure, I apologize that this picture does not capture the crust's beauty, richness, luxury....it's essence. I'm pretty sure we can all relate just a little bit.


Just want to take a second and honor our MVP today.

And then tell you again that no, I am not a lush.


I just really, really love the Irish.


And I had a big birthday this year.


And now.... It's Time.


Gather your butter, sugar, instant coffee granules (if you use this every morning, please don't tell me...I don't want to pity you), some vanilla and the last few drops of your Bailey's or Kahlua....because, you're only 30 once.

Or 30 1/2. Or 44. Or 92.

Now get to whippin'.
Melt some unsweetened chocolate....or semi-sweet, depending on what you can handle, and pour every last drop into the mix. There comes a moment in every woman's life where you have to muster up your will and scrape absolutely everything out of a container.....and this, friends, is it.

Don't. Waste. Chocolate.


And while you're at it, throw in a little vanilla. You know...ebony and ivory.


This next part is very important. It requires some bravery on your part. Please don't wimp out.


(Also, be sure to read P-Dub's disclaimer about this recipe....it's not for preggos)


You are going to begin adding 4 eggs in the mixer. You will add one about every 5 minutes, and keep the mixer going the whole time on a medium speed.


If you don't have a stand mixer, I applaud your commitment. You will be handsomely rewarded in the end. I do so solemnly promise.


This process, though it takes awhile, is incredibly satisfying to me. Watching those eggs transform into chocolatey-brown fluffiness is kinda like watching the end of a Biggest Loser season.


You know, where they start the new episode by clicking through all the pictures of a person's weigh-ins from the beginning at such a rapid speed, you can see the person just melting away.

Yep. Watching butter, chocolate, Irish cream and eggs coming together is just like that.


After the eternal 20 minutes are over, you pour it over that crust... and then wipe the drool away.

Nobody wants to see that.

Put it in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours, but don't dispair! I bring glad tidings!!!


Here is the best thing P-Dub has ever said in her entire life:


"You might have a little filling leftover. If you do, I’ll trust you to do the right thing."




Now don't you just want to hug your computer monitor?


Go ahead. It's ok....I won't tell.


Here ya go, sweetie.



1 comments:

nicole said...

OH MY!!!!!!!! Not for preggers!!! What?! 3 months...3 months...3 months!

Pages