Thursday, February 02, 2012

Pinterest Project: Sunburst Mirror



Ok, here's the original pin. Isn't it gorgeous? I love how her's pops out against that wall color. Mine didn't turn out quite that good (and there's not as much contrast with my wall color), but I still really like it.

I got the reeds from Hobby Lobby and followed the instructions for cutting them at a few different lengths.


I already had the faceplate to a clock that was broken. I wanted to use it because it already had the hardware on the back to hang so I just took of the hands, removed the battery and frame and then spray painted the face.

I found the round mirror at Hobby Lobby.


Then I used one of my most favorite products, E600 glue, to glue the mirror onto the faceplate. Then stacked books on top for weight while it dried. (fantastic book, btw!)


Then the fun of hot gluing the reeds begins. I staggered the different lengths all the way around. This part was time consuming, but this is where you get the cool starburst shape.


I covered the mirror with paper before spray painting the reeds white.


I primed and then sprayed 2 coats of white on it. Looking back, I think I should have done one more coat. It was challenging to get all the reeds completely covered.


I hate that my pictures of it didn't turn out as great as I had hoped, but you get the general idea here.





One of the things I didn't really expect was how BIG this thing is. It's really big, but I had a pretty big wall space to fill so it fits nicely. :)






It's not perfect, but I like it. :)


0 comments:

Pages