Monday, November 23, 2009

Rich people buying other rich people more riches

The title is how I've been feeling about Christmas. Something's very wrong with that. Very.

(and if you don't think you're rich, go here and find out exactly how rich you are. If you're reading this on a computer... and you are :)... you're one of the richest in the world.)


"In 2008, Americans spent about $460 billion on Christmas expenditures, according to IBISWorld. Some estimates show that the average American spends between $500 and $1,000 or more on Christmas gifts and decorations each year."


Our families are incredibly generous and love us very much...so Christmas is big each year. But I just can't get this voice out of my head...

"You need nothing...and they need to live. They need water. They need food. They need a decent shelter. They need a mommy and daddy. They need..."



"Just $20 can give one person clean water for 20 years."

(Water for Christmas)


What do you do with that?

I like this idea: Advent Conspiracy

Watch the video if you haven't seen it. It's 1 min 54 seconds.

I have some thoughts about what this means for our family, and while it's in the baby stages...I'm getting really, really excited about it! The creative juices are pumping through my veins!

It won't mean that we will completely stop buying any gifts for Christmas (at least not this year), but it does mean being more prayerful about how we approach this whole get-more-stuff thing. It means conversations we've never had before. It means an ever-weakening desire for the stuff. It means spending money to help others....and not the "others" who already have what they need to live. It means believing and rejoicing in the truth that "the Lord is my portion and my cup....I have a beautiful inheritance." And knowing "...as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." It means simplifying things.

Funny how what I call "simplifying" could save a human being's life.

How slowing down the whole picking it out-ringing it up-taking it home-wrapping it up process could actually cause someone to live who would otherwise die.

I don't think we get it. I don't.

I have so many more thoughts and ideas about this that need to get out... so another more practical post is coming. :)

But in the meantime, I'd love to have your ideas and thoughts on this. Have you made significant changes in the past on how you spend money at Christmas? Are you planning to this year? Share! I would love the encouragement!

0 comments:

Pages