Friday, March 20, 2009

Meet your new sister

I know it's been ages, but there is no better reason to blog than to introduce you to a new sister in Christ and ask you to share in my rejoicing and prayers for her.

A little background:

In 2001 I was an RA for a girl's floor in Moore Hall at UNCC. I was involved with a campus ministry that had a passionate vision for discipleship and I primarily became an RA to share my faith with the girls God would bring me. 2001 was my last year as an RA, but I built precious relationships that I still keep in touch with. One of those relationships was with Corey. She was lost, insecure and needed guidance. She was open to talking about anything, but completely shut out the gospel. She would just say, "I'm sorry, Dana. I know that's important to you, but it's just not for me."

Over the years I would see her at our annual Christmas parties and other get-togethers and it was obvious that her life was not good...I'll just leave it at that. Things were bad. Several of us girls who are Christians would talk about how we just wished Corey knew Jesus, and what do we say to help her and how she didn't want to talk to so-and-so (usually me because they looked to me like a mom) because she was embarrassed, etc. A few months ago, she finally called me out of desperation because she didn't know what to do, but was still very determined to "figure it out." I told her the gospel again and that I really believed God was using her circumstances to chase her down....and that He had been doing that since she was a freshman.

Anyway....here's an email I just sent out to people who I had asked to pray for her:


Hey Ladies,

Just wanted to thank you for praying for Corey. She called me a few days ago and wanted to get together for "spiritual guidance." We met last night and for an hour she very tearfully told me the story of how God drew her heart to Him the other night while she was by herself, and how she gave Him everything.. .her mess, her sins, her life. She said that Chris (the father of her child, who she lives with but is not together with...it's a mess) told her that to have a relationship with God you have to talk to Him and confess your sins. How amazing that God would use him, or me, or any of us! God has been bringing back to her mind conversations that we've had over the last 8 years...things I don't even remember saying.

To hear her tell it was so pure and real and beautiful. I don't think I've ever heard a story so beautiful. She really knows nothing about the Bible....she' s been to church twice and didn't even know if she believed in God before...but she knows that He has forgiven her and that He's with her and always will be. That's it! How simple and pure her experience is and nothing can ever take that away from her. I really have no words to describe listening to her last night. I wish you all could have heard her.

I explained the gospel to her in a little more detail (like the Jesus part) and even drew out the "bridge diagram" (shout out to CO folks!). I didn't want to overwhelm her but everything I told her just went straight to her heart, bringing more tears.

We are going to meet weekly so please continue to pray for this journey for her...she told me that her circumstances have only gotten worse, but that now she has Someone to turn to. I can't express how precious this all is to me. When I was her RA in college (when I first started talking about the gospel with her) it was probably the worst year of my life and I was a real mess. Isn't God good?

Love you all.

Amazed again by His grace,
Dana


"The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with JOY!"

0 comments:

Pages