Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Thoughts from a Non Planner





I'm not a natural planner. I don't thrive on meal plans, schedules and charts. My closets aren't arranged by color, I don't know what we'll be eating for dinner in May and my toiletries are all thrown together in one basket (not that those things are bad).


My personality falls much more on the creative, free spirited, spontaneous side. I (typically) don't like rules and I don't like to be told what to do. I thrive on creating. I like to rethink things and come up with my own way to do them. I hate reading the instructions. I'd rather figure things out myself (which, yes, is sometimes disastrous). People will trump a plan any day....which is why I missed a lot of music theory classes in college. I love ideas to be outside-the-box, fresh, new, colorful, different. I like having freedom in my day, and the friends we see the most are the ones that text in the morning and ask us if we want to hang out for dinner that night.


I'm am so much more aware of this right now because this is the time of year that we are all inundated with a better way to meal plan, organize our closets, chart our chores, come up with new systems, get on a schedule, exercise with a better plan, etc.



It's everywhere.


And in this season of "do better, be better," it's SO easy to just feel like you're not enough. Like you have such a long way to go. Like the world would rather you do things differently than the way you already do them. Be different than what you are. It fits them better. I'm am convinced that we live in a planner's world.

"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail."



Having said that, I really do acknowledge that there is much value in planning and being able to best serve your family and those around you.

She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast
for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
diligent in homemaking.
(Proverbs 31)


I'll be honest, sometimes I don't like the Proverbs 31 woman....or maybe I just don't like the way we have represented her. Whatever it is, she's a hard worker, she serves others well, her family is blessed and her Father smiles. And that....is the reason I try to plan and organize. That...is the reason I'm working hard to get meals in my freezer, reduce our clutter, make our home more manageable and peaceful. It's certainly not because I just like it or thrive off of it. And slowly (very slowly), I'm learning to be ok with that about myself.


Some of my dearest friends are great planners and I appreciate this about them. They offer a different perspective and can be so helpful to me, but if you're more like me, I just want to offer a little encouragement... He loves you.

In fact, He delights in you. He rejoices over you. He sings over you. He calls you "Beautiful" and "His." He can't wait to wrap His arms around you and have you home.

And this is your reality right now; for how you are in this moment. Not the "new improved" you that may or may not emerge sometime in 2012. He gave you a voice. He gave you something to say, to contribute, that He didn't give anyone else. He didn't make two of you. You are worth more than diamonds.


This beautiful truth is for all His children, but I feel Him specifically reminding me of it right now when I don't measure up (often), when I struggle with just getting dinner on the table, when I haven't done a good job with my laundry, I've spent more money than I should have and I've wasted too much time on facebook.


We don't have to be put together to be His. He's promised to help us and hold our hand. How freeing!


And this is what I hear Him whispering as I struggle to grow in my gaping areas of weakness.
Chin up, non planners!


1 comments:

Linda Ackerman said...

Great Dana! Shows (heavenly) wisdom and insight. Though I'm not good at it, I agree that people should always trump plans. Therein lie the blessings!

Pages